All members resident in the UK - including Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, are able to apply for Public and Products liability Indemnity insurance. The policy is underwritten by Novae Underwriting Limited underwriting for certain underwriters at Lloyd's and provides indemnity against claims arising from non medical treatments performed by members who possess approved qualifications in such treatments. Novae Underwriting Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Membership based insurance schemes are organised by associations as a way of providing low cost Healer insurance designed to meet the needs of their members. The insurance is written as a single policy to which all participation members contribute and as such there is a single renewal date occurring on 1st March each year - The policy renewal date remains the same irrespective of the date a member joins the scheme.
I.P.T.I. Member's Insurance Summary of Cover
This document is a summary of the cover available under the Independent Professional Therapists International (IPTI) insurance policy underwritten by Novae Underwriting Limited underwriting for certain underwriters at Lloyd's. The summary contains some keys features and benefits of cover along with some significant exclusions and limitations on the policy. It also contains some general conditions and exclusions of the policy, how to make a claim, your cancellation rights and how to make a complaint. As this is a summary it does not contain the full terms and conditions of your insurance. You can find the full terms and conditions of cover in your Policy Document. This summary is provided for you for information purposes and does not form part of your insurance contract.
Malpractice, Public & Products Liability
Significant Features & Benefits
Significant Exclusions & Limitations
Malpractice & Professional Liability
All Risks Cover (optional)
Optional Extension 1
Any member who treats professional sports persons with Sports Massage, Sports Therapy, Remedial Massage, Sports Injury Treatments, Ultrasound or Fitness Training must have prior permission of the underwriter to be covered under this policy.
Therapists must keep complete records of the client and the treatments given, including aftercare advice, for at least 7 years from the date of treatment and, in the case of a minor, for a period of at least 7 years after that minor would attain majority.
'Claims Made' Policy - The policy is written on a 'Claims Made' basis. A 'Claims Made' policy covers only claims reported during the policy term, provided the event that lead to the claim occurred after the retroactive date of the policy issued. If, for whatever reason, you do not continue to purchase cover, this means there is no cover in force for previous work undertaken. Therefore you will require 'run off' cover if you wish to be covered for previous work performed.
Policy Excess - All Risks cover for equipment and products has an excess which includes the first £200 of each and every claim.
Making a Claim
In the event of any incident which may give rise to a claim under this Policy the Insured shall:
- On the happening of any loss damage injury or accident give notice in writing to IPTI
- Immediately forward to IPTI upon receipt of every letter claim writ, summons or process
- Immediately notify IPTI of any knowledge of impending inquest or inquiry
- Make no admission or promise payment of indemnity on behalf of the Insured without written consent of IPTI
- Not incur any expense in making good any damage without written consent of IPTI
Making Yourself Heard
Any complaint You may have relating to your policy should, in the first instance, be addressed to IPTI. If you are not satisfied with the way in which your complaint has been dealt with, you should write to Novae Underwriters Limited. If the complaint is still not resolved, you can approach the Financial Ombudsman Service. The Ombudsman will only consider complaints if:
- We have provided you with written confirmation that our internal complaints procedure has been exhausted
- Your business has a turnover of less than £1,000,000
Referral to the Financial Ombudsman will not affect your right to take legal action.
Full details of addresses and contact numbers can be found within the Policy Wording.
Your Cancellation Rights
You may cancel the Policy in the first year of insurance during the 14 days after the contract has been concluded by giving notice in writing to Independent Therapists International to the address on the front of the Policy. This right does not apply at the first or any subsequent renewal of the Policy. During this 14 day period IPTI will give a refund for the proportionate part of the premium paid in respect of the unexpired term of this policy subject to this proportionate part being in excess of £50. This is subject to no claims being made under the Policy for which a payment has been made, no claims made under the Policy which are still under consideration and no incidents likely to give rise to a claim but are yet to be reported.
In accordance with Data Protection legislation, in all matters, we are seeking to act in the best interest of you, our client, but if you have any concerns regarding the data we hold, please contact IPTI at your earliest convenience.
We also share your information and any subsequent claim information with other insurers, via the Claims and Underwriting Exchange Register to check insurance details and prevent fraudulent claims. By purchasing this policy, you consent to such use of your personal data.
General Policy Exclusions and Conditions
- Application of heat, other than in respect of items normally found in a salon, is excluded.
- You are required to take reasonable precautions to prevent loss or damage occurring.
- Any alterations in the risk must be advised to IPTI as failure to do so could mean that the policy is invalidated.
- Any incident that may give rise to a claim must be notified immediately as it occurs and all written correspondence regarding any claim must be forwarded to IPTI without acknowledgement. You must not admit fault or liability.
- The Policy shall be voidable in the event of misrepresentation misdescription or non-dislosure of any material fact. If in doubt about whether a certain fact is material then this information should be disclosed.
Independent Professional Therapists
IPTI is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority and has FSA reference number 312694